Primary Office Address:
Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139
Primary Office Phone:
Psychoanalytic Training FOR ADULTS:
Advanced Candidate, PINE Psychoanalytic Center
Graduate Training #1 Degree:
Albany Medical College '93; Adult Psychiatry Residency, McLean Hospital '97; Child Psychiatry Residency, Cambridge Hospital '00
I am most intrigued by the capacity of psychoanalysis to facilitate continued positive growth and development in the context of a compassionate relationship where self-exploration is nurtured and where self-development can thrive. In my psychoanalytic practice I strive to create an environment which encourages the development of empathic and reflective self-awareness, recognizes and fosters resilience, and promotes the achievement of one's full potential.
I trained as an Adult Psychiatrist at McLean Hospital and a Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist at Cambridge Hospital, and am currently an Advanced Candidate in Psychoanalysis at PINE. I am also a Clinical Instructor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, and am currently involved as a research associate in a longitudinal developmental psychology research project on adolescent development spanning 30+ years. I have a private practice in Adult, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry in Cambridge, Massachusetts. As reflected in my treatment philosophy, I am very curious, and seek to understand more, about what facilitates positive growth and development, even in difficult circumstances, and endeavor in my practice to create such an environment. My academic interests include the interface between psychoanalysis and attachment theory as well as relevant fields within developmental psychology, including narrative psychology, resilience theory, and gender and sexuality development.
List Recent Publications (Up to Five):
- Barkai, A.R. & Hauser, S.T. (2007) The creation of a coding scheme assessing curiosity expression in adolescent interviews: Preliminary findings. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association, 55 (1), 287-294.
- Barkai, A.R., Hauser, S.T., Allen, J., Biswas, A. and Burnstine, R. (2007, March) Identifying Resilience through Narratives of Self-Reflection. Poster Presentation presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Boston, MA.
- Barkai, A.R., Hauser, S.T., Allen, J.P., Henry, S., Biswas, A., Billings, R. (2008, Jan) Identifying Resilience through Narratives of Self-Reflection: Improving the Method and Establishing Reliability. Poster Presentation presented at the American Psychoanalytic Association Winter Meetings, New York, NY.
- Barkai, A.R., Hauser, S.T. (2008) Psychoanalytic and Developmental Perspectives on Narratives of Self-Reflection in Resilient Adolescents Explorations and New Contributions. Annual of Psychoanalysis. 36, 115-129.
- Barkai, A.R., Allen, J.P., Marraccini, M.E., Warner, D.E., Jaques, M. (2010, March) Identifying Resilience Through Narratives of Self-Reflection: Improving Statistical Power and Confirming Reliability. Poster Presentation presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research on Adolescence, Philadelphia, PA.
- Barkai, A.R., Crowell, J.A., Warner, D.E., Marraccini, M.E., Davis, C.R., Dearing, E. (2010, October) Does Parental Cumulative Risk Predict Depression in Adolescent Offspring? Poster Presentation presented at the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Annual Meeting, New York, NY.
- Barkai, A.R., Rappaport, N. (2011) A Psychiatric Perspective on Narratives of Self-Reflection in Resilient Adolescents. Adolescent Psychiatry, 1 (1), 46-54.